I remember reading “Harlem,” by Langston Hughes in elementary school. I soaked up the imagery of a dream dying. It was the first time anyone told me that my dreams can wither. I was a little girl, often told I can do or be anything. At the time I was not sure what that was. However, I knew I didn’t want my dreams to ever give off a stench of rotten meat, or a festering sore as described by Mr. Hughes. The vivid image of a dream differed was enough for my young mind to conclude that I should never give up on my dreams.
Ironically, my dreams took a detour. However, there were times when Mr. Hughes words and my teacher’s voice would replay in my head. I would then asked the question, is it too late? Did my dreams die? Did it festered? I would find myself trying to revive my dream.
One day my husband IK, asked me “what’s the plan?” I’ll admit at first the question irritated me. I was a writer. The plan was to write. Soon I realized, I needed a better plan, if I wanted to write professionally. I needed to think about, what I wanted to write? Who I wanted to write for? Etcetera.
I thought about why I wanted to become a writer. I needed to know this, for when times would get hard. The purpose of me becoming a writer, is because I love writing. The purpose of me becoming a professional writer, is to make a living doing the what I love.
I set goals. The creative person in me can see me writing books, blogs, articles, even a TV show. I narrowed it down. Since people always check your platform before they take you seriously, I decided that blogging would be a great place to start.
I set dates. This was an important step I took when I decided to relaunch my blog. Setting a specific date forced me to get things done. I went a step further and posted the date everywhere on social media, so I would be less reluctant to change the date.
I worked my butt off.
I kicked FEAR in the butt. You know it’s coming. As soon as you go for your dreams, there would be distractions, negative thoughts, etc. Just knock it out by doing the work.
The difference between a dream differed and a dream come true is a plan. So let’s start planning.
Want to join me?
In the comment section below add…
- Your dream
- Three things you plan on doing this year to help you achieve your dream.
- Add your Twitter handle. I promise to follow.
Then get social with it…
- Take to Twitter and tweet I AM A #DreamerWithPlans Click To Tweet
- And follow me on Twitter @ladyiwrites
HERE’S MY DREAM
Become A Professional Blogger: A blogger who makes a living from blogging.
& MY PLAN
- Make a daily routine. I hear most successful people have a routine. I want my routine to include, reading the bible, praying, writing in my journal, and exercise. Starting 10.1.15.
- Make money from my blog. Ugh. Talk about kicking fear in the butt. I have no idea how to do this. Yet, I am excited to start making money. I would like to see money come from my blog by my birthday 12.18.2015.
- Get an office. Every writer craves their own working space, (wink, wink, hubby). Stephen King described the best place as an humble space with a door.
That’s my list. I will keep you informed via the blog and tweets. You can keep me inform with twitter make sure to hashtag your story at I AM A #DreamerWithPlans. Let’s get started, I look forward to cheering you on, #DreamerWithPlans.