A Writer’s Life At 2:00 AM

I woke up to toxic fumes. I almost gagged, as I sat my head up to see what time it was. It was 2 AM. I looked at Mr. B staring at me in the dark like this was some cruel joke. Or worst, my husband forgot to take him out, and Mr. B decided to wake me up with his foul smell.

“Did you take him out,” I said.

I turned to IK. My eyebrows started to do that thing it does when I’m complex or dag-on-mad. Just as I considered waking him up. IK adjusted his body only to get even more comfortable. That’s when it dawned on me that this wasn’t going to be a pleasant conversation. So, I shook my head, grasp for clean air and laid back down. Mr. B decided to lay back down too.

“Let’s go,” I said.

I couldn’t sleep so we went for a walk. Mr. B took his time, smelling everything that he peed on and peeing on everything he smelled. But he didn’t poop. I just knew he had to. But he didn’t.

Early mornings are great for writing. Click To Tweet

I was up for sure now. So, I started to count how much sleep I had gotten for the night. “I guess I can work on 5 hours,” I thought. Besides the early mornings are great for writing. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.

I took a load of laundry out of the machine and added another load. Folded the towels and put them away. I ate a fruit cup. Drank some water. Finally, I got comfortable and ready to write. Then I realized it had been awhile since I prayed. So, I prayed. After prayer, I thought I would be ready for sure to get some writing done. But, instead, I surfed the internet. I put my latest blog post on MEDIUM and tweeted a couple of things.

4:35 AM, my mind finally began to fill-up with inspiration and words began to flow. I was on the role, “this was the best time to write,” I thought. Everyone is asleep, it’s quiet and I am writing with ease. Then my alarm went off. It was 5:05 AM. I had to get ready for work.

“This is so unfair.”


Photo Credit: Createherstock.com with edits.

  • Ava Griffith

    🙂 Life – In the “Happily Ever After Lane.” 🙂